Friday, January 7, 2011

Motivation

This blog is meant to be a place to reflect on the adventures I am about to embark on in 2011 motivated by my New Years Resolution. This year I will attempt to do something or meet someone new every week. The idea for this resolution was sparked by my own advice. While discussing my college experience with perspective students, I always remarked that college is what you make of it and it is up to you to get involved in activities and make new friends. After a less than exciting semester at Iowa State, I realized that there was no one else to blame except for myself. No one else was going to make friends for me or sign me up for extracurricular activites. So if I want to make more of my time in Iowa, I will just have to break out of this shell of fear and solitude. If all goes as planned, I will have 52 posts to share with you about the people I will meet and the places I will go in the journey to accomplish my New Years Resolution. (For those that know me, this is going to be a challenge. Check out my facebook, I still have the profile picture from high school.)

The title of my blog is Oh The Places Ali Will Go, which is a play on the title of the children's book Oh, the Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss. In the story, the protagonist leaves town and begins traveling around. One of the places that he encounters in called the "Waiting Place", where everyone is waiting around for something to happen. (This is where I currently am and hoping to leave.) The character does not stay here, but instead continues on spurred by the places and things yet to be discovered. The book concludes open ended, and it is from here that I begin my own adventures. Will I succeed? Yes, I will indeed.

In order to get the most out of this year, I am relying on the help of you, the reader. Please comment on the experiences that I have posted or suggest ideas for things to try or places to meet new people. (I am still not sure about the Valentine's Day speed dating event, especially after the LARPER incident. It will take a lot of convincing for me to go through that again.)

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic idea Ali! Really, I am so impressed and cannot wait to hear about all the cool people that you meet this coming year. I am cheering you on from Baltimore:) You are amazing -- 52 people are about to meet an incredible individual with so much energy to share.

    ReplyDelete